Thursday, July 28, 2011

These Breasts are Blessed

Welcome to the Milk Mama Diaries Carnival (July).  For this month, we join the National Nutrition Council - Department of Health in celebrating Nutrition Month with the theme "Isulong ang Breastfeeding - Tama, Sapat at EKsklusibo!" [This is Tagalog - apparently, it translates as "Push Breastfeeding Forward - Correct, Sufficient, and Exclusive." Participants will share their experiences in promoting breastfeeding or their tips on how breastfeeding should be promoted.  Please scroll down to the end of this post and check out the other carnival participants.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Breast milk is still best for babies. We normally hear this in each milk formula advertisements there is. And even from our own family, relatives, friends and neighbors who nursed, this will be the one-liner sentence they will give you in terms of feeding your newly born.

When I got pregnant with my son, A and I decided that our first option is to breastfed the baby because of many advantages it can bring to us and to the baby.
  • The most nutritious way to feed your baby.  - An amazing craft by God. Everything a baby need to be healthy can be found in mother's milk.
  • Most economical. - Saves you lots of money considering the very demanding need of your baby to satisfy his/her hunger and nutrition needs. From what I heard from other parents, a typical baby can consume one big can of formula milk in one week and can get even more depending on his ability and capacity to drink. Imagine that!!! It can help parents to re-allocate supposedly budget for formula milk to other things you have to buy for the baby such as diapers, vitamins, vaccine, etc. Parents are not force to buy a set or dozen of feeding bottles, sterilizer, and other accessories needed to feed your baby. Even though I am breast feeding, we still bought few feeding bottles and milk storage bottles basically just to store extracted milk that we need when we go out.
We got this since its the brand most recommended to us in terms of durability.
We use this to store extracted milk in the fridge for later consumption




  • Always available - Less work. No need to scoop then and there. No need to boil water. Lesser time is needed to feed your baby. No worries to ran out of supply. No need to stock up and horde from supermarket. When he/she gets hungry, you just need your hand and pull out your boob. :P
  • Breastfed babies are said to have a closer bonding with the Mom. I hope not to the extent that my son will be teased as Mama's boy.
    • A rewarding feeling for any Mom. - I know all of other Mom's who will read this will certainly agree to me that though breastfeeding has its fair share of hardships and pain, you will and never can express in words how wonderful and amazing you feel within when you see you satisfied your baby's hunger by your own milk. Each moment you held your baby close to your breasts, chest and of course your heart, it brings such a rewarding and remarkable happiness to a Mom.
    To date, I am a nursing mom for exactly 30 days now. I am so much thankful that I am able to feed my son by these breasts. Though I must admit that until now, I still have sore and throbbing nipples. But I can say that I am happy and proud. I am hoping that I can still supply my baby for at least a year. They said that constant or regular feeding helps you produce and stimulate milk. I am a bit worried that by the time I come back to work, my supply of milk will ran out fast. I hope breast pump will help me out on this serious work.


    For other tips and information about breast feeding, check out the other Carnival posts:

    No comments :

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts with Thumbnails